Student Handbook 12/8/06
2. Organizational strategies and policies observed
Describe the manager strategies and activities that you observed while at the site (e.g. sales,
group work, discussions, business, marketing actions, research, new products, etc.) and address
the following questions:
· Which strategies appeared to be most effective/ ineffective?
· Why did/didn't they work?
· Were the actions approached differently for different groups? Why?
· What sources of information were used by the managers? (e.g. other company,
newspapers, textbooks, teachers, research, reference books, computers)
· What types of technology did the managers utilize? (cell phone, computers, etc.)
3. Managerial approaches and styles
What was your perception about management, leadership and the work site environment?
(a) Describe the company settings that you observed and refer to them in your discussion.
· How many workers were in each office?
· Were there posters, bulletin boards, and/or job activities details on the walls?
· Where was the manager's desk in relation to the workers?
· What was your reaction to the physical environment?
(b) Describe how the supervisors manage the personnel.
· Did the personnel have a routine to follow as they came in the work room?
· What types of behavior did the manager tolerate or ignore?
· What types of behavior did the manager not tolerate?
· What is your reaction to the management that you observed?
(c) Describe and comment on an incident that you observed which demonstrated effective
or ineffective company control by the manager. What, in your view, made the managers'
actions effective or ineffective?
4. Overall evaluation of the Field Work Experience
Write a summary of your field work experience. Discuss the questions below:
· What is your overall reaction to the practicum experience? Was it worth while?
· What things surprised you about the experience?
· What concerns do you hold now that you have spent time with this company?
· What concerns have been alleviated?
5. Student Interviews
(a) Interview at least one, but preferably 2-3 managers or supervisors. Ask them the following
questions, and then follow up with a few questions of your own.
1) What are the biggest frustrations that he or she has faced as a supervisor?
2) What aspects of tutoring have given him/her the greatest satisfaction?
(b) Summarize your findings and include some direct quotes. (Please do not identify the
Supervisor by name in your report. The interview should be confidential.)