Visual Learning Company
Solutions at Work
1. What do the following things have in common this oozing lava?...
2. ...the water in these thundering ocean waves?...
3. ...and, the clear air surrounding these mountain peaks?
4. Surprisingly, all these things are examples of solutions.
5. What are solutions?
6. What are some of the different kinds of solutions?...
7. ...and what are their characteristics?
8. During the next few minutes we are going to answer these questions and others,...
9. ...as we explore solutions at work.
10. Graphic Transition What are Solutions?
11. Every time you take a gulp of soda,...
12. ...or powdered fruit drink, you are drinking a solution.
13. And when you take a breath of air,...
14. ...or grab onto a doorknob you are using solutions.
15. So, what exactly are solutions? A solution is a type of mixture made of two or more
substances that are evenly distributed.
16. This saltwater solution, for example, is made up of water and salt two different
17. The juice in this container is a solution.
18. You Observe! Does the juice in the bottom look different from that at the top?
19. No, the juice solution looks the same throughout. A solution has the same
20. The process by which particles in a substance separate, or spread out evenly in a
mixture is called dissolving.
21. The solute is the substance that is dissolved. In this case the powdered fruit drink is
22. And the solvent, in this case water, is the substance in which the solute is dissolved.
23. Another way to put it is that the powdered fruit drink is soluble, or is able to dissolve
24. Not everything is soluble in water. For instance, oil is insoluble, and is unable to
dissolve in water. It forms a mixture that is not the same throughout.
25. It is important to point out that not all solutions are liquids.
26. The air we breathe is a solution, made up of several different gases including
oxygen, and carbon dioxide, dissolved in nitrogen.
27. Solids can also be solutions. Volcanic rocks formed from cooled molten rock, for
example, are solutions made of several different substances.
28. Alloys are another type of solid solution consisting of metals or nonmetals dissolved
29. The steel in this bridge is an alloy. It is made of carbon and other substances
dissolved in iron.
30. And brass is an alloy consisting of the metal zinc dissolved in copper.