10 Archiving your work
10.1 Archiving System
All student data on the system will be archived off to another area and all students' h: drives will
be emptied at the beginning of every academic year. This academic year, the archiving took place at
the beginning of August 2009.
Data can be retrieved using a link which appears in the root of the h: drive. This leads to the
archive area which contains all previous data held by the student. The data held on the archive area
is read only.
If you wish to edit archived files, you can copy them back to your h: drive, and then work on them
More information on Archiving can be found on the ITS Web Pages.
11 Data Retention
Please be aware that 42 days after the completion of your course, user names, e-mail addresses,
data, files and e-mails kept on the UWE systems will be deleted. IT Services is unable to retrieve
data after this time. Therefore, please ensure that you backup all your work and correspondence on
on CD-ROMS, memory sticks and Microsoft SkyDrive, at the end of your course at UWE. If you have
any credit balance remaining on your Pharos printing account, please contact the cash office for a
refund within the 42 days mentioned above.
Note: access to your module materials in Blackboard ends when the module run ends. You are
therefore strongly advised to download any materials you may wish to refer to in the future before
you complete a module.
If you use UWE Live Mail to email and Windows Live Services such as SkyDrive to transfer your
materials at the end of your course or store your data and files whilst at UWE, you will not have to
worry about storing your data elsewhere. Windows Live offers services for life which are stored and
backed up by Microsoft.
12 Useful Web Pages
· UWE home page www.uwe.ac.uk
· The myUWE portal https://my.uwe.ac.uk/
· UWE Live Mail https://my.uwe.ac.uk/ (via the portal) or www.uwe.ac.uk/its/uwelive/
· ITS web site, for information on shutdowns etc: www.uwe.ac.uk/its/shutdown.shtml
· AskIT Knowledge Base, for help and guidance: http://askit.uwe.ac.uk/
· IT Services glossary of computing terms: www.uwe.ac.uk/its/knowledgebase/customerservices/
· Library (for searching the catalogue): www.uwe.ac.uk/library
· Virus Alerts: www.mcafee.com/us/threat_center