Mental Health Resource Guide
The Linkages for Advancing Appropriate Mental Health Partnerships with Schools (LAAMPS)
Initiative is funded by a grant from the United States Department of Education. North River
Collaborative (NRC) has designed the LAAMPS Initiative to target the following:
1. NRC will form a comprehensive collaboration to provide the leadership and partnerships
that will strengthen linkages and increase communication between schools and
community mental heath resources.
2. District-Based Mental Health Teams, in collaboration with the LAAMPS Mental Health
Advisory Board, will enhance the availability of linkages for crisis intervention services,
appropriate referrals for students, and ongoing mental health services.
3. NRC will provide participating schools and linking agencies with training to improve the
prevention, early identification, implementation of linkage protocols for treatment
services for students' mental health needs.
4. Develop a resource map of community mental health services;
5. Produce district-specific crisis and referral linkage protocols;
6. Provide for the development of partnerships between schools and public/private
community mental health agencies;
7. Train school administration/staff and youth-serving community organizations in
prevention, early identification, crisis intervention and accessing mental health services;
8. Train mental health agencies in the use of linkage protocols and school culture,
capabilities and limitations.
Outcomes of the project will include improved access to appropriate mental health services for
students through enhanced collaboration and linkages across community agencies, and
enhancing teachers' capacity to identify students at risk. The aim is cohesive school-community