If we were to measure S/N, we would measure S and we would measure N. In
common TV practice, what measurement units are used?
What type of modulation is used to transmit the video; the audio, the color subcarrier?
On a TV transport system, end-to-end S/N is often specified at 54 dB. Then why is
the TV receiver specified at 45 dB? Explain the difference.
Regarding TV transport, what is a program channel ?
To digitize a TV signal, what type of generic coding is nearly always used?
To digitize a TV signal by PCM, calculate the sampling rate for at least two systems.
Give the three basic bit rate reduction techniques suggested by CCIR.
Give three ways of reducing the number of bits per sample.
Discuss intraframe coding regarding redundancy.
What is the voltage value of 0 dBmV? When using dBmV, we should state another
parameter as well, which we do not have to do when using dBs in the power domain.
How does differential PCM bring about bit rate reduction?
What are the two broadcast-quality bit rates that can be derived from the ATSC
(MPEG-2) coding system?
What is one popular bit rate for conference television? Another?
1. IEEE 100 The Authorative Dictionary of IEEE Standards Terms, 7th ed., IEEE, New York,
2. Fundamentals of Television Transmission, Bell System Practices, Section AB 96.100, American
Telephone & Telegraph Co., New York, 1954.
3. Television Systems Descriptive Information--General Television Signal Analysis, Bell System
Practices, Section 318-015-100, No. 3, American Telephone & Telegraph Co., New York, 1963.
4. A. F. Inglis and A. C. Luther, Video Engineering, 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 1996.
5. K. Simons, Technical Handbook for CATV Systems, 3rd ed., General Instrument Jerrold Elec-
tronics Corp., Hatboro, PA, 1980.
6. Electrical Performance for Television Transmission Systems, ANSI/EIA/TIA-250C, EIA/TIA,
Washington, DC, 1990.
7. Television Systems, ITU-R Rec. BT.470-3, 1994 BT Series, ITU Geneva, 1994.
8. Reference Data for Engineers: Radio, Electronics, Computer & Communications, 8th ed,
Sams Prentice-Hall, Carmel, IN, 1993.
9. The Preferred Characteristics of a Single Sound Channel Transmitted with a Television Signal
on an Analogue Radio-Relay System, CCIR Rec. 402-2, Part 1, Vol. IX, ITU Geneva, 1990.
10. The Preferred Characteristics of Simultaneous Transmission of Television and a Maximum of
Four Sound Channels on Analogue Radio-Relay Systems, CCIR Rep. 289-4, Part 1, Vol. IX,
CCIR Dubrovnik, 1986.
11. Pre-emphasis Characteristics for Frequency Modulation Radio-Relay Systems for Television,
CCIR Rec. 405-1, Vol. IX, Part 1, ITU Geneva, 1990.
12. Transmission Performance of Television Circuits Designed for Use in International Connections,
CCIR Rec. 567-3, Vol. XII, ITU Geneva, 1990.