PUTTING TOGETHER YOUR FOCUS IN MBB
WITHIN THE HISTORY AND SCIENCE CONCENTRATION
Ideally, a Mind, Brain, Behavior focus within the History and Science Concentration is
composed as follows:
I. Establish a guiding principle.
* Choose a field in a cognitive or brain science
* Choose a sociocultural focus to frame/examine it
II. Design a program of study that includes 4 science courses and 5 sociocultural courses.
Of your 4 science area courses:
* one is the MBB-required MCB 80
* one can (but need not) be the MBB-required Science of Living Systems 20,
(or Science B-62 or Science B-29 for students in the class of 2010 or 2011).
* of the four courses, only two may be introductory. Therefore, if you choose to
count SLS 20 (or Science B-62 or Science B-29) as one of the four courses,
your two remaining courses must be advanced courses. You must take SLS 20
(or Science B-62 or Science B-29) whether you count it as one of these four
courses or not; in other words, SLS 20 (or Science B-62 or Science B-29) is
required for all MBB students, but you may choose not to include it as one of
the four science courses required for the History and Science concentration.
* your courses should reflect a coherent science field related to MBB (see p. 4-7)
Of your 5 sociocultural area courses:
* at least 3 courses must be historical (normally focused on the history of
medicine and/or the human sciences; 2 courses must be in History of Science)
* plus 2 courses in one of the auxiliary areas (see p. 8-10)
* only two may be introductory courses
* your courses should reflect a coherent socio-cultural field related to MBB
III. Fulfill additional requirements for MBB students in all participating concentrations.
* attend the two-day MBB symposia at the beginning of the junior year
* senior thesis workshop (non-credit)
Please note that seniors in MBB are eligible for MBB senior thesis funds. Again,
check the MBB website for information and deadlines.
PLEASE REFER TO THE MBB WEBSITE FOR INFORMATION ON THESE
REQUIREMENTS! THE HISTORY & SCIENCE CONCENTRATION DOES NOT
TRACK YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THESE MBB-RELATED REQUIREMENTS.