Note: Because some devices may serve as both routers and switches, the
total number of Nodes Discovered may be less than the sum of reported
Routers Discovered plus reported Switches Discovered.
Adding Individual Nodes
The following procedure details the steps required to add a device and its
interfaces and volumes for monitoring in the Orion Web Console.
To add a device for monitoring in the Orion Web Console:
1. Log in to the Orion Web Console as an administrator.
2. Click Settings in the top right of the web console.
3. Click Manage Nodes in the Node Management grouping of the Orion
Website Administration page.
4. Click Add Node on the Node Management toolbar.
5. Provide the hostname or IP Address of the node you want to add in the
Hostname or IP Address field.
6. If you only want to use ICMP to monitor node status, response time, or
packet loss for the added node, check Status Only (ICMP).
7. If you want to add an External node to monitor a hosted application
with Orion products (for example, Orion APM), check External.
Note: Orion NCM does not collect or monitor any network performance data
from nodes designated as External. The External status is reserved for
nodes hosting application that you want to monitor with Orion Application
8. If you want to use SNMP to monitor the added node, confirm that ICMP
(Ping only) is cleared, and then complete the following steps:
a. Select the SNMP Version for the added node.
Orion NPM uses SNMPv2c by default. If the device you are adding
supports or requires the enhanced security features of SNMPv3,
If SNMPv2c is enabled on a device you want Orion NCM to monitor,
by default, Orion NCM will attempt to use SNMPv2c to poll for
performance information. If you only want Orion NCM to poll using
SNMPv1, you must disable SNMPv2c on the device to be polled.
b. If the SNMP port on the added node is not the Orion product default
of 161, provide the actual port number in the SNMP Port field.